Budget-busters drive holidays at home
The nation’s bygone pastime of going for a drive is still alive and kicking despite the high costs associated with motoring, states Iain Robertson, with over 69% of drivers hitting the road for leisure. The survey was carried out by those useful people at MoneySupermarket.com and 58% of respondents said that they found driving enjoyable, with 29% suggesting that it helps them to wind down. Almost 25% drove for leisure because it’s a cheap day out with the family. With 36% of motorists having already experienced the thrill of open road motoring, the research also revealed the UK’s top road trip destinations.
The nation’s top five UK drives:
- The Lake District, North West – 26%
- The Yorkshire Moors, North East – 18%
- Snowdonia, Wales – 15%
- Scottish Highlands; Inverness to Durness – 13%
- The Peak District – 13%
The research also uncovered the top international spots, where the more adventurous motorist would travel, with three US destinations making up the top five.
Top five foreign drives:
- Route 66, Arizona to Chicago – 20%
- Amalfi Coast, Italy – 13%
- Pacific Coast Highway, California – 11%
- Great Ocean Road, Australia – 11%
- Florida Keys – 10%